P: What is that book about?
MSK: The Bombay mafia.
P: (SCOFFS) it is Mumbai, now.
MSK: It is a book written about a period when Mumbai was Bombay. Either way, it had a world class mafia and was pretty nasty. (Regrets saying it afterwards!)
P: I worked in Bombay when all the Mafia dons roamed free.
MSK: Really? Must have been nice.
P: (Laughs!) I saw Dawood growing up as a most dreaded Don.
MSK: Must have been quite an experience. (Can’t resist the urge to bring sarcasm!)
P: We used to discuss in the office about who would get killed and when… (Laughs)
MSK: I’m sure it was more exciting than doing crosswords!
P: Your generation knows nothing about living among animals…
MSK: That I’d like to object. We just learn to ignore even though sometimes we get cornered.
P: You read those books and form an opinion… we saw it happening.
MSK: I am actually quite grateful that I wasn’t around. (Smiles)
P: Your generation have computer, mobile phones and stuff that make you look stupid. Nobody reads or anything.
MSK: Um… I believe I was reading a book before I was interrupted for this short biography or witness record.
P: I could have become a Don too in the area where we lived in Mumbai. All the Malayalees tried to make me one because I stood up against many injustices.
MSK: Really? (Tries opening the emergency exit but fails to remove the hatch!)
P: Yes. If it wasn’t for that upstart Tiger Menon, I would have become a Don.
MSK: Tiger… what?
MSK: (picks up the book and reads it, just to confirm) It is Memon. Not Menon. Tiger Memon is a Muslim. Not a Hindu Menon…. He didn’t have anything to do with Malayalees or Kerala. If you want I’ll agree with you about that ‘upstart’ part…
P: See… this is the problem with your generation. All facts have been screwed up so much that you don’t know what to believe. What a cursed, confused generation. I’ll go to sleep now.
(The train went on and on.)
- Walking the Mumbai Underground – Mumbai (Bombay), India (travelpod.com)
- Mumbai from the – Mumbai (Bombay), India (travelpod.com)
- Back to Bombay (or, How to Beat Jetlag) – Mumbai (Bombay), India (travelpod.com)
- Protesting against expolitation of poor no crime: Bombay High court (kabirkalamanch.wordpress.com)
- “The Media & The Mob: Exploring the Mafia Mystique” – New Book Examines A Pervasive Ethnic Media Stereotype (prweb.com)
- Mumbai couples, the police wants you (ndtv.com)